We took Jackson on Thursday for his two month doctor visit. He was quite talkative and in a great mood when we got there. Little did he know that he would be getting not one but TWO shots that day! He did well when he received his one month shots--no fussiness or soreness. I had heard that the two month shots were rough on some babies so I made sure I was prepared. I stopped at Target before we went in and picked up some Infant's Tylenol.
The nurse checked his measurements and weight--all good and in the 75th percentile. He now weighs 13lb 5oz and is 23 1/2 tall! Wow!
The doctor came in, checked Jackson out, and talked with us about the shots that Jackson would be receiving that day. I asked about giving Jackson Tylenol later that night and the doctor acted like the shots were no big deal and said the Tylenol wouldn't be necessary. Really? Well, he is the pediatrician and knows more about this than I do. I thought that maybe everyone else had been exaggerating...
Everything went okay at the office. Well, as well as it could go when a baby is getting shots. He cried and screamed. I cried, too. (I'm such a wimp.) Jackson calmed down in about 5 minutes and we went home--I didn't hear a peep out of him on the entire ride home. I thought that perhaps Dr. Barden was right!
At 7:30 that evening, everything changed. Jackson started crying and then the crying turned into screaming. Nothing we did could calm him--he was absolutely inconsolable. He cried for about 45 minutes straight. When we finally got a break, Jackson would quietly wimper for a few seconds and then start right back up again. The wimpering really got to us--that seemed much worse than the screaming.
I had Jeremy bring me the Tylenol. We had to do something to make him feel better! I read the label to find out the proper dosage. For children under two, it said "consult your doctor". Hmph. I did consult our doctor and he assured me that Tylenol wasn't necessary! Wrong, wrong, wrong! I thought about calling our doctor's after-hours number but this wasn't really an emergency. Jackson didn't have a fever--he just felt terrible. So, Jeremy called Ananda and she was able to figure out the proper dosage for Jackson. Thank goodness there's a doctor in the family!
After we gave him the Tylenol, Jackson calmed down and eventually went to sleep. What a day!
We'll know better next time.
Here's Jackson at the doctor's office, pre-shots:
I am really surprised your doctor did not think Tylenol was a good idea. Most recommend the Tylenol immediately before or after the shots. Being a Nannah, of course, I'm ready for you to change doctors!!!! In most cases, when it comes to our children, parents have the best instinct - not the doctor that only sees them occassionaly.
ReplyDeleteJackson, sorry you had such an ordeal!! Wish I was there to cuddle with you!!
I was so "involved" in responding about the shots, I forgot to say "Way to go, Jackson". Keep eating and growing! You're so sweet"
ReplyDeleteThirteen pounds!!! He has nearly doubled in size. I love the video with all the "talking". OK, the shots, I agree that they are not fun. I need to get shots soon for my Ukraine trip. Will you cry for me?
ReplyDeleteI Love all of you
Papa
What a healthy baby. I am so sorry he had such a bad time. And what a good idea, picking up the tylenol. The video is so cute, Jackson will be an early talker, he is trying so hard now, in fact, he is communicating now-what a guy!
ReplyDeleteJackson was so cute laying there talking up a storm. I could see alot of you in him . It certainly does hurt to see your child cry getting shots, but you know it's the best for him to keep him safe. Keep sending more video's of Jackson, he's so fun to watch, and I LOVE looking at him, always!! I just want to grab him up! I love ya'll, and give Jackson a kiss for me! Miss you!
ReplyDelete